Need Compassion? Got Compassion? Get Connected.

Need Compassion?
Got Compassion? Get Connected. 

Connect to Compassion!

Welcome and welcome back. It's another amazing day in paradise. Thank you so much for being here. It's been quite a while! Who knew being housed could be so challenging? Haahaahaa... I say that with a tone of serious comedy.

I thought moving into a house was going to make everything a breeze but it's been a more challenging adjustment than I realized. And now that I'm back, I have a lot to say. But I'm sure you're wondering, what made it easier? My answer is simple: Compassion.

I Looooooove compassion. I didn't really know what it meant until I looked it up one day while doing an intimate study of Luke 10:25-37. If you are familiar with the Bible this is where the Parable of the Good Samaritan is found. At least, that's what most people call him. Since studying this story back in the beginning of 2020, I've called it the Parable of the Exceptional Samaritan because what the Samaritan did was more than good. It was truly exceptional. It was compassion in action, which technically is mercy. Let me explain.

What makes me Love compassion so much is it's not about the action. Compassion is actually the empathy for the suffering coupled with a strong desire to alleviate the suffering. For some people that's where they have to stop because they don't have the means to actually alleviate the suffering. But that empathy, that compassion is what makes change possible for all the ones who can take the next step and provide mercy. You see without compassion there would be no mercy, only sympathy, only pity, only emotion. Mercy is the action. Compassion connects the emotions to action.

And we continue to receive so much compassion and mercy. Because housing doesn't eliminate poverty. And housing does not immediately address someone's mental health challenges. I'm so grateful for the homeowners and the grace and time they're extending to me to get myself together. That has been incredible in helping me get to a point where I feel like my mental health is good. One sign of that is simply me writing this blog post. 

And that's why I'm back. I've been praying... and on Tuesday morning (8.25.2026) Spirit was helping me to refine my why. I was trying to figure out exactly what my next steps are and how to implement them. Well... I guess that since I've recently been reading Simon Sinek's book, Start With Why, Spirit was sending me in that direction first.

I had A LOT of whys or I thought I did. When I got to the root of all of them, they all contain one central message: compassion. That's when I realized that my overall "why" focuses on 4 things: Love, compassion, mercy and Samaritan Style. These words are the foundation of the Parable of the Exceptional Samaritan.

Technically only two of the words are found in the story (compassion and mercy). Samaritan Style is a phrase God gave to me. And Love is... well, God is Love so Love is God. To be more specific, the definition of Love that I live by is, "Love is the opportunity, blessing and challenge of seeing God/Goddess in another even when they don't see The Divine in themselves". To go a step beyond that and complete the definition, you've got to "honor, reverence and nurture that divine within until it is manifest without".

As you can see, there's a lot to my why. But that doesn't tell you why I'm here.

CONNECT TO COMPASSION

My most immediate next step is to connect you to compassion. If you've got compassion or need compassion, you've got to get connected. So my goal is to highlight the presence of Love, compassion and mercy in the city of Raleigh.

Looking back, those principles were overwhelmingly present in our lives and they are how Wisdom and I survived almost 7 years of being unhoused AND how we got into housing. So this post will highlight people and places that fulfill a good part of my why.

Some events are free. Some events have a cost. All of them magnify Love, compassion and mercy. That's why they are on this list. And I'm going to add that most of these don't have 5K, 10K or 20K followers. They are deep in the community, doing the work quietly.

This is my attempt to amplify them. I'll describe what's happening and then suggest how you can give compassion or receive compassion from what's going on.

Please Note: This list is not exhaustive. And you might NOT find something that fulfills your need to give or receive. If that's the case, I invite you to get connected to me and share what you know and/or what you need.

That's the perfect Segway to my final thought before I jump in. You probably noticed that I'm only highlighting events that I feel showcase Love, compassion and mercy. Are you wondering why Samaritan Style isn't included? That's simply because right now, I'm the only one who knows about it. And it's my mission to implement it so that I can fully live my why!

When you get to the end of this list, the last entry invites you to gather with me so WE can implement Samaritan Style. If you're familiar with the parable, that's one of the six steps: partner with reliable community. Check out the last entry if you want to know more. Otherwise...

Let's get started...

1. 5 Success Stories: This is name of Nation of Diversity's (N.O.D.) premier gala and documentary release. 

It is to support the move of five single mom households from poverty to prosperity. The evening will feature the documentary as well as speakers. As you can see, I will be one of them. While it might seem like I'm promoting this for obvious reasons (I've been unhoused with a child and I'm a keynote speaker). The truth is, that's not it at all! We have several organizations in Raleigh that address homelessness that I would NOT suggest you contribute to.

I'm elevating this because WHEN Raleigh has its version Helene (not if, when) and people who are displaced need help, this is the organization they are going to want and need. Why? Because N.O.D. focuses on mental health and they live by the motto "Housing is Healthcare".

I know for a fact that the executive director has used her own funds to keep the families she's working with housed in hotels. That's not sustainable but she's done it. And I promise you, we do NOT have any organization here in Raleigh that would do that for you if you were displaced. Nation of Diversity is in these families' lives for the long hall. I guarantee you'll want them by your side if something should happen to you and your family. I'm working to see this gala position them for long term success so they become their own success story.

Got Compassion? Here are a couple of ways to support: (i) Please buy tickets and attend the gala on October 10, 2026. Busy that night? (ii) Check out the Go Fund Me and donate to help the ladies. You'll notice a $500 donation on there. That's from one of the gala's other keynote speakers. Beautiful right? 

2. Before We Knew Better Art Exhibition: I'm elevating this art show because it's showcasing the art of 2 adult Black male, Lamar Whidbee AKA Afro Picasso (who I recently met) and Chris Facey AKA Coco Butter Shutter (who I've been acquainted with for a few years now). And the reason why I know Chris is because he is everywhere or at least it seems like it.

I see him walking in Downtown Raleigh all the time, taking pictures. I see him at all kinds of events, taking pictures. You might have seen his pictures if you travel Capital Blvd. He's responsible for the images on the fence surrounding the skate park. He is such a gifted photographer and one of the most kind and down to earth people I know.

Here are a few images of Chris' work. Please Note: We were given permission and encouraged to take pictures.

This was me as a child and Wisdom now when I have to do his hair.

This reminds me of Wisdom, fascinated by all kinds of creatures.

Wisdom and I attended the Artists Talk on September 2nd. We arrived early, toured the gallery and noticed Chris. Wisdom sat down beside him and they just talked. This is such a sweet moment to me. It is the only way I've known Chris to be. 


The large pics behind Chris and Wisdom are by the other featured artist, Lamar Whidbee. If you're familiar with Dix Park, there is a large mural on one of the brick buildings close to the chapel. It is called Get Well Soon. Lamar did that.

By the end of the night, I felt so blessed to experience their creations. Yet, while their work is incredible and moving, it was phenomenal to get just a small taste of their brilliant minds during the Talk. To become more deeply connected to and impacted by this show, the hosts, NC State African American Cultural Center, invites you to anonymously answer 2 questions as part of the exhibit. (This is a "know before you go" moment.) Here are the questions for your consideration. I included my answers.


Got Compassion? Support these two Black male superhero creatives. Go check out the exhibit. It's FREE. It's open 10a-5p daily until September 25th on the campus of NC State at the Witherspoon Student Center, 2810 Cates Avenue, Raleigh 27606 in Room 218 (enter the front of the building, go to the left, take the elevator to the 2nd floor, go to the right, gallery is at the end of the hall).

Need Compassion? Connect to the innocence of childhood and go check out the exhibit. Even if none of the images match your experience, it is a beautiful time to reimagine how childhood could be for all children. Both the show and the memories you'll create are FREE. It's open 10a-5p daily until September 25th on the campus of NC State at the Witherspoon Student Center, 2810 Cates Avenue, Raleigh 27606 in Room 218 (enter the front of the building, go to the left, take the elevator to the 2nd floor, go to the right, gallery is at the end of the hall).

3. Speak Out Against the Teen Curfew: Did you know the City of Raleigh is considering a curfew for teens prompted by the "Teen Takeover" on the night of July 4th? Personally I think this is atrocious because Raleigh, as a municipality, has a paltry history of investing in children, youth and families. Now that they think things have gotten out of hand, their oppressive reaction (not response) is to establish a curfew for youth.

Got Compassion? Here are a few ways to get involved...

a. Complete the survey. Young Americans Protest and Triangle AfroSoc created the survey and are inviting the residents of Raleigh to respond, with a focus on getting input from our youth ages 13-24 whose lives will be impacted the most. 

b. Speak to City Council. Public Comment sessions, Email or Plan to Attend Not Just A Curfew, Monday, October 12, 2026, Five Points Center for Active Adults, Doors Open at 5p

c. Talk to Toshiba Rice about it: District 4 Representative for Wake County School Board. She's got a Teen Talk Tour and a Journey Mapping Event to determine what the path should look like for families from pregnancy with their child to their child entering a profession.


4. The Black August Book Drive: Seeing a need to augment literacy in Black and Brown children and youth, where on average achievement levels are low, this book drive is bringing together concerned individuals to gather, distribute books and so much more. 

Books were collected throughout the month of August. Ava the S.T.E.M. Princess, the young, vibrant and brilliant entrepreneur behind Team Genius Squad and the multi-hyphenate, local legend Victoria Scott-Miller both made donations to the Book Drive.

On Sunday, September 6th from 2-5p they will be giving them away at the Liberation Station bookstore and I will be reading books throughout the event.



Got Compassion? Even though the collection period is over, there are still ways you can help.

a. Ava is the author of 3 books and donated a case of books that talks about how she overcame her initial dyslexia and dysgraphia diagnosis, Ava Discovers Her Inner Genius. She will live her whole life with the challenges of these learning disabilities yet she is not only able but flourishing as an author and entrepreneur anyway. Please consider purchasing books from Team Genius Squad (or any of the other S.T.E.M. based products) to thank Ava for her donation.

Ava the S.T.E.M. Princess and Shai, the visionary behind the Black August Book Drive

b. Victoria actually donated 1000 books which met and far exceeded the drive's original goal (1000 books). The link takes you to the IG post sharing this exciting news. Besides being the owner of the bookstore, she is the author of 2 children's books: At Night, They Danced and Miss Edmonia's Class of Wildfires. Please consider purchasing her books or other children's books from the Liberation Station website. Or even better, head to the store to buy in person to show her our appreciation for her generosity.

c. You can also provide a monetary donation directly to the Black August Book Drive's Go Fund Me. Their goal is only $2200. They are about almost a quarter of the way there. 

Need Compassion? Come and get some books to keep and/or share on Sunday, September 2, 2-5p at Liberation Station Bookstore. Invite your friends too.

5. Possibility Festival: Let me breathe before I start talking about this one because I get sooooo excited just thinking about it. WHOOOOOSA!!! It's a good, deep, healthy, cleansing breathe, not one of frustration. I don't know where to start when I talk about the Possibility Festival. I just know that if you've got plans on Saturday, September 12 and Sunday the 13th that can be rescheduled, change them. Then register for this event.

I learned about the Possibility Festival when I attended an event hosted by someone I really respect and admire, Jordan Bowman, Executive Director of Journeymen Triangle. He had been asked by the festival organizers to assemble a group of people. His invitation was forwarded through an email group we both participate in. I saw it, signed up for it and I went. Aside from the organizers, I don't think there was one person in that room who knew what to expect from the experience. 

BUT... when it was all done we'd all had very personal emotional experiences and one big collective emotional experience. Besides meeting one another, the purpose of the gathering was to watch a documentary that followed the organizer plus a few of the participants of the Possibility Festival held in Chicago in July of 2024. If you know me, you know I'm a HUGE fan of anything that helps me understand brain development, nervous system regulation, trauma and nutrition better. This did in a really profound way.

It's moving from a social experiment to active education and implementation of the CLAP Movement. And that's all I'm going to say.

Got Compassion? Register for this event and commit yourself to attending for the whole weekend. Support the young men and women who have gotten behind the founder to take this experiment around the country.

Need Compassion? Register for this event and commit yourself to attending for the whole weekend. You won't regret the decision. If you value the state of your mental health, this is definitely for you!

6. Southeast Raleigh Promise’s 5th Annual Home Preservation Volunteer Event on Wednesday, September 16, 2026. Sarah Brim, Community Watershed Ambassador for Partners for Environmental Justice (PEJ) shared this information via email. "PEJ is proud to partner with Southeast Raleigh Promise, Wells Fargo, Habitat for Humanity of Wake County, and the City of Raleigh for this annual day of service dedicated to preserving long-standing homeownership and strengthening neighborhoods in Southeast Raleigh.

"This event brings together volunteers, community organizations, and residents to complete meaningful home preservation projects while celebrating the individuals who make a difference in our community every day. We encourage our partners, supporters, and network members to join us in this impactful day of service and community building.

"Whether you volunteer on a project team or attend to show your support, your participation helps strengthen community connections and supports efforts to keep Southeast Raleigh residents safely and sustainably housed."

Got Compassion?: Please register and attend.

Event Details - Wednesday, September 16, 2026, 8a-2:30p
Roberts Park Community Center, 1300 E. Martin Street, Raleigh, NC 27610

Schedule -

Volunteer Registration: 8:00 a.m. - 8:45 a.m.
Program: 8:45 a.m. - 9:25 a.m.
Volunteer Projects: 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. (includes transportation time)
Lunch: 1:15 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
Event Concludes: 2:30 p.m.

Volunteer opportunities and a light breakfast will be provided.

Rain Date: September 23, 2026

7. PEJ Emergency Preparedness Workshop with the Community Engagement Committee - Fill your day with awesome activities starting with this workshop then head over to the Community Health Fair (below).

Saturday, September 19, 2026

10a-12 noon

Walnut Creek Wetlands Center

The flyer tells it alllll!


7. 
GBO Community Health Fair: Your day will be full if you attend the Emergency Preparedness Workshop first and follow it up with the Community Resource Fair

September 19, 2026

11a-3p 

Food Lion Plaza on N. Raleigh Blvd

FREE grocery giveaway ✦ FREE Lunch ✦ FREE Admission


8. Communion for Compassionate Change: Here's where I get personal. This is my invitation to communion. It's sacred but not religious. It's deep and personal but not invasive. If you want to make change, compassionate change, consistent change by community, we have to be in communion with one another. There are choices we've got to make and action we've got to take. And this is where Samaritan Style matters.

Samaritan Style highlights the 6 principles Jesus taught to not only eliminate homelessness but to deal with most issues that exist in the world. Samaritan Style is a leadership style. I'm inviting community members into one-on-one conversations first. Then I will invite all interested individuals into collaborative conversations with the other people I have spoken with to discuss what it looks like to implement Love, compassion and mercy with Samaritan Style across a number of topics.

To be transparent, I've got a plan in mind. Something that God gave to me in December of 2024. It was my community project to graduate from Citizens Leadership Academy. I also have aspirations of becoming Raleigh's first Black female mayor. Raleigh needs a matriarch and I believe I am capable of being the one we need. Having said that I hope you'll still join me. Send me your availability here.

Whoosa!! And just think... This is only a few events that are happening around the City of Raleigh. Thank you so much for checking this out. Thank you in advance for however you get involved to spread Love, compassion and mercy. Enjoy the amazing day you're creating. Peace...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This Is How We Homeless: We All Thrive in 2025!

This Is How We Homeless: #SpreadLoveSpreadLUV

My Wonderful World With Wisdom: The Good - The Bad - The Ugly